The Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM is an extremely compact, fast, pancake lens that is part of the new STM family of Canon lenses. Incorporating the new Canon STM stepping-motor technology for quiet, accurate focus operation, the Canon 40mm f2.8 prime is perfect for capturing sharp photos that stand out whilst providing a professional and natural looking background blur. When mounted onto a Canon camera with an APS-C sized sensor the field of view is equivalent to a focal length of about 60mm in 35mm format. The Canon EF 40mm f2.8 comes in a portable, lightweight package and is suitable for a wide variety of subjects, from discreet portraits to landscapes.
Extremely compact and portable design
Never be without your EOS. The compact pancake EF 40mm f/2.8 STM is very thin, so you’ll always be able to take your DSLR with you.
Smooth and quiet AF, STM focussing for movies
Fast, accurate autofocusing ensures pin-sharp images even in tough conditions. Movie Servo AF with STM uses stepping-motor technology for smooth, quiet autofocus when filming on compatible Canon DSLRs.
Useful low light shooting
An f/2.8–22 aperture range provides control over depth of field, giving you the freedom to restrict or extend focus as required. A fast maximum aperture allows hand-held shooting in low light without using flash.
Great image quality designed for travel versatility
A versatile 40mm focal length is great for travel. Tackle everything from portraits to landscape and street photography. Great image quality right across the frame, thanks to an aspherical lens design and Super Spectra coatings.
Key Features About the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM Lens
- The compact pancake design of the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM makes your EOS even more portable, so you’ll always be able to take your DSLR with you.
- Movie Servo AF uses STM stepping-motor technology for smooth quiet focusing when shooting video with compatible cameras.
- Use an f/2.8-22 aperture range to control depth of field and shoot hand-held in low-light conditions. A circular aperture diaphragm delivers high-quality bokeh.
- Suitable for a wide variety of subjects, from portraits to landscapes. Great for discreet reportage photography.
- Pin-sharp images with fast, quiet AF with STM.
- Great image quality right across the frame with Super Spectra Coatings and aspherical lens design.
- STM – Canon’s new line of STM (stepping motor) lenses are specifically designed for shooting video with the camera’s Movie Servo AF mode. The first STM lens was released along with the Canon EOS 650D and has been designed to work with the 650D’s AF so that they’re fast, accurate and silent. The result is a movie that sounds professional without the sound of the noisy AF motor in the background.