Nikon today unveiled the new Nikon Z 40mm f/2, a tiny yet powerful FX-format prime lens with outstanding picture quality, a fast aperture, a useful field of view, and exceptional bokeh for everyday image and video recording.
This new optic ticks all the boxes for a lightweight lens to carry just about everywhere for almost any occasion: it’s affordable, portable, and brilliant. The new 40mm allows you to shoot with great sharpness, rapid focus, and stunning blurred backgrounds, whether you’re looking for a lens for everyday snaps, inconspicuous street photography, or as a travel companion that conveniently fits in your carry-on.
Additionally, the fast aperture provides great low-light performance and image quality — users can anticipate rich colours and lifelike three-dimensional depth in anything from portraits to food, still life to 4K video.
The Nikon Z series 40mm f/2 lens is a flexible full-frame or DX-format lens that may be used with any Nikon Z series full-frame or DX-format camera. The lens is tiny enough to go with a Z 50, Z fc, or Z 5, but it’s also ideal for Z 6II and Z 7II users looking for a light and compact “walk-around” lens.
The Nikon Z 40mm f/2 is now available for order here.
Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens Features
- A compact, versatile prime lens that is ideal for everyday applications such as close-ups, casual portraits and food photography.
- Delivers fantastic bokeh and a dramatic separation of the subject from the background.
- The standard focal range hits the sweet spot of a natural angle of view, while still being wide enough for street photography. When mounted on a DX-format camera, the lens is equivalent to 60mm, which is a great focal length for flattering portraits.
- Ultra-compact, weighing in at merely 170g and only 1.8” long, making it easy to carry around for day-long outings.
- Built with 6 elements in 4 groups with a 9-blade diaphragm that creates a gorgeous, circular bokeh that draws attention to the subject.
- Utilizes an electromagnetic diaphragm for precise aperture control and stable exposure during continuous shooting.
- The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 offers a short 0.96ft (0.29m) minimum focusing distance, which is excellent for capturing food and top-down photos of décor and tablescapes.
- Designed with consideration for dust and drip-resistant performance with a sealing that prevents dust and water droplets from entering the lens.
- Video shooters will benefit from the quiet operation, natural focus shift that allows for fluid changes when going from close focus to infinity, reduced focus breathing and smooth aperture control.
- The lens features an integrated control ring, which can be customized and assigned to adjust focus, ISO, aperture and exposure compensation.
Easy to carry. Fun to shoot.
The Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens is a lightweight prime lens that can be used with any Z camera in almost any circumstance. It’s big enough for street photography, landscapes, and interiors, yet small enough for candid portraiture. It boasts a fast f/2 maximum aperture that powers through poor lighting help freeze quick action, and creates a lovely bokeh effect that isolates your subject from the backdrop. And it does it with Z’s trademark clarity, consistency, and brightness.
Great on any Z camera.
The Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens is a versatile lens that sits between two popular focal lengths: 35mm and 50mm. Like a 50mm, it produces natural-looking portraits and close-ups, but it’s also wide enough to photograph inside, on the street, or in a crowd. It offers a field of vision of 60mm* on a DX-format Z camera, making it another versatile focal length for everything from portraiture to street photography.
Nothing weighing you down.
The Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens is so small and light that you’ll forget it’s there—only it’s 1.8 inches long and weighs 6 oz. Because it does not expand or retract, it is always ready to use. Take it with you everywhere you go as your primary walk-around lens or as a light backup.
Make your topic pop against a gorgeously blurred backdrop. The lens’ 9 rounded blade diaphragm enhances the small depth of focus of f/2, providing a natural bokeh appearance.
Get in close.
Getting near to your subject is rewarded with the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2. At closer range, the lens’ lovely bokeh is enhanced, giving your subject virtually three-dimensional separation.
Shoot after hours.
The wide f/2 aperture gets greater light-collecting capabilities from the bigger Z mount. Use higher shutter speeds to freeze motion without losing brightness, and capture the atmosphere of poorly lit situations with clarity and sharpness.
The silent autofocus mechanism of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 prevents angle-of-view changes during recording by substantially suppressing focus breathing. To produce a natural change in brightness, use the click-free control ring to make smooth iris adjustments.
Focus quickly and confidently.
When it comes to autofocus, the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 is a powerful, quiet performer. Whether utilising Eye-Detection AF or continuous subject tracking, a revolutionary high-torque stepping motor runs at blazing fast speeds in near quiet.
Control that can be customised.
The click-free control ring may be adjusted to fit your shooting style. It may be used to fine-tune manual focusing, as well as to change the aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation. The dust and drop resistance of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 lens is depicted in this illustration.
Dust and water resistance.
The lens barrel and all moving components have been built with dust- and drip-resistant performance in mind, with sealing that keeps dust and water droplets out.
Nikon Z 40mm f/2 Sample Images
Buy The Nikon Z 40mm f/2 Lens
The Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens is now available for order. Should you need any advice about this lens please contact us here or use the live chat feature in the corner of your screen.
Nikon Z 40mm f/2 lens£259.00