The Nikon Z6 Digital Camera Movie Kit marks the first foray into the full-frame compact system market for one of the largest companies in the business. Featuring the new larger-diameter Z mount, a 24.5MP back-illuminated FX-format CMOS sensor, and a sensor integrated focal-plane AF system; the Z 6 is an ideal upgrade for those with a full-frame DSLR who are wanting to switch over to a compact system. Comes with an FTZ mount adapter so you can use F-mount glass with the camera.
Key features of the Nikon Z6 Digital Camera Movie Kit
- The new larger diameter Z mount for Nikon’s full-frame compact system cameras
- A back-illuminated full-frame CMOS sensor, providing impressive low-light performance
- Shoot in 4K up to 30fps (with full pixel readout), or Full HD up to 120fps. You can also output 10-bit 4:2:2 via HDMI
- 5-axis in-body stabilisation for up to 3-stops without a VR lens, or up to 5-stop with VR
- Focal-plane phase detection AF built-in to the sensor
- A new hybrid autofocus system that covers approx. 90% of the frame
- The brand new EXPEED 6 image processor
- A high-quality electronic viewfinder that provides instant feedback in incredible detail
- The Z6 is ergonomically designed for maximum comfort and intuitive operation
- Take photos while also shooting video
Your vision. Your voice.
Bring your ideas into the light. When you have a fast full-frame sensor to shoot with you have the power to make your mark.
All the way sharp
The back-illuminated 24.5 MP full-frame CMOS sensor with focal-plane AF captures richly detailed, razor-sharp images.
The blazing EXPEED 6 image processor delivers images with low noise and stunning dynamic range at both high and low ISO values.
Z mount. More light. More possibilities.
With the world’s widest full-frame lens mount, the agile Z 6 mirrorless camera can capture light as never before.¹
One adapter. Endless inspiration.
With the Mount Adapter FTZ attached to your Z 6 camera, you’re free to use existing F-mount NIKKOR lenses. There’s no loss of image quality. Plus non-VR lenses will find new levels of sharpness with in-camera VR.
That look. That moment.
With Eye-Detection AF, your Nikon Z camera can lock onto your subject’s eye whether they’re alone or a face in a crowd. You select which eye to focus on via the multi-selector, and the camera maintains focus even if the eye is briefly obscured.
Stay sharp with ultra-wide autofocus (AF) coverage across 90 % of the frame. Combined with the incredible focusing power of Nikon Z mount lenses, even subjects at the edge of the frame are easily detected. And vertical shooting is incredibly precise.
The AF system spots movement instantly. Even small or fast-moving subjects are tracked with absolute precision in any light. And you can use Pinpoint AF mode to hone in on the smallest details.
Inside the light
Exposure metering down to -4 EV is available when shooting with a lens that has a maximum aperture of f/2 or faster. Find nuance in shadow. Lock onto details even when the only light is the light of the moon.
Capture the expression
An intelligent Face-Detection-AF processor detects and holds faces. That glance. That expression. It’s yours—even if someone is moving quickly.
Easy subject tracking
Sometimes a lot is going on at the same time. So it is mandatory to be able to switch quickly between moving subjects in your frame. Or fixing the focus tracking on precisely one subject and not to get diverted by others. Customize the camera or lens Fn buttons to enable subject tracking in auto-area AF mode any time needed, experiencing DSLR-like operation.
The future firmware update that will be released later this year (as of writing this article in 2019) will support Apple’s ProRes RAW recording from the camera’s RAW output making this kit a future-proof investment. This applies when the user is working with the Atomos Ninja V. Thanks to this the user can benefit from greater flexibility when colour grading.
What’s in the box?
- 1 x Nikon Z6 Digital Camera Movie Kit
- 1 x Atomos Ninja V (standard package with power adapter, and empty caddy for hard drive)
- 1 x SmallRig quick release camera cage
- 2 x Nikon EN-EL15b battery (one from kit, one additional)
- 1 x Coiled HDMI cable
- 2 x 5200 mAh batteries with fast charger for Ninja
- 1 x SmallRig handle for camera cage
- 1 x SmallRig magic arm to mount Atomos
Sample Images of the Nikon Z 6 Digital Camera
Specifications of the Nikon Z6 Digital Camera Movie Kit
|Body type||SLR-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||6048 x 4024|
|Effective pixels||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100-51200 (expands to 50-204800)|
|Lens mount||Nikon Z|
|Focal length mult.||1×|
|Max shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Storage types||XQD card|
|USB||USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5 GBit/sec)|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||675 g (1.49 lb / 23.81 oz)|
|Dimensions||134 x 101 x 68 mm (5.28 x 3.98 x 2.68″)|