- Unimagined subtlety. The 61.0-megapixel1 full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS sensor combined with BIONZ X™ imaging engine delivers an unprecedented resolution, fine gradation, and low noise to open entirely new dimensions of detail just as pro photographers expect. The α7R IV captures the mood of each scene and the texture of aimed subjects.
- The newly developed Exmor R CMOS 61.0MP1 full-frame back-illuminated CMOS sensor image sensor boasts incomparable high resolution. Back-illuminated design exhibits high sensitivity and low noise, despite the extremely high pixel count of 61.0MP1.
- The latest image-processing engine BIONZ X works in tandem with front-end LSI to maximise high-resolution sensor performance while achieving up to 15-stop2 dynamic range at low ISO sensitivity.
- Wide standard ISO 100-32000 range. Regardless of increased pixels, the α7R IV delivers the highest standard ISO 320003, and reduces noise in the low- and mid-sensitivity ranges, achieving high-quality imagery.
Factors maximising superb resolution
- The in-body 5-axis image stabiliser algorithm is optimised to maximise high-resolution 61.0-megapixel1 image sensor performance. This fully supports your handheld shooting for reliability as effective as 5.5-stop4 higher shutter speed.
- Shoot in absolute silence as silent shooting not only provides a useful advantage in venues where quiet is required but avoids vibration that can cause camera-shake blur. Vibration-free shutter maximises extremely high α7R IV resolution for crisp clear images.
- Blur reducing structure. A re-examined and redesigned mechanism infixes the shutter unit to suppress subtle camera shake, and an enhanced image stabiliser algorithm effectively reduces image blur. Overall, the camera’s high resolution is successfully maintained.
- Shake-free remote shutter release. Remote camera operation using an optional wireless remote controller (RMT-P1BT) allows you to shoot effective stills while avoiding camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release. This maximises the image sensor’s high resolution.
- 5.76-million-dot UXGA OLED Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder reproduces fine detail with approximately 1.6 times higher resolution than α7R III. You can select “High” quality mode for high-precision yet natural realism while suppressing moiré and jaggies for better concentration. Smoother image with 120/100fps5 frame rate makes it easy to track moving subjects.
- The highest-level burst speed in its class. Regardless of remarkable image resolution, the α7R IV maintains its shooting speed of up to 10fps with a mechanical shutter (up to 8fps in live-view continuous shooting mode).7 This allows you to capture decisive moments — such as the motion of wild animals — with subtle details made possible only by the 61.0MP high-resolution imaging capability.
- Useful 26.2MP with APS-C cropping. Thanks to extraordinary image resolution, you can still maintain remarkable high-resolution images as approximately 26.2 megapixels even after cropping a full-frame image down into APS-C size. This means the α7R IV can help you proactively utilise 61.0-megapixel full-frame shooting, for example, in bird photography that tends to require cropping editing to magnify captured images.
- Wide AF coverage with new image sensor supplies wide and high-density AF coverage with 567 phase-detection AF points (approx. 99.7% height and 74.0% width). 425-point contrast-detection AF supports precision focusing.
- Fast AF despite the higher resolution thanks to responsive enhanced Fast Hybrid AF, despite its large data handling, the α7R IV delivers swift AF even under dim lighting conditions, with remarkable ability to capture an aimed subject.
- Steadfast AF tracking further improved with increased AF points, widened the coverage of AF sensor, and improved AF algorithm has further enhanced subject-tracking performance for consistent shooting, even of complex or sudden movements.
- High-precision AF in underlit conditions thanks to the advanced AF algorithms contribute to AF precision at light levels as low as EV-38. ‘Focus Priority in Aperture Drive’ option is for more accurate focusing in dim lighting and when the aperture is stopped down.
- Shoot up to 68 images continuously because buffer memory size is 1.5 times larger9, the camera maintains burst shooting speed of up to approx. 68 images10. With APS-C shooting mode, you can shoot approximately three times more photos than with full-frame shooting mode.
- Dual media slots, both supporting UHS-II. Both SLOT 1 and SLOT 2 are compatible with UHS-I and UHS-II for fast mass-volume data writing. The α7R IV can simultaneously or relay record, separate RAW/JPEG data and stills/movies, and copy data between cards.
- Extend shooting to professional length as The α7R IV uses a high-capacity NP-FZ100 battery. For longer hours of shooting, combine this with optional VG-C4EM Vertical Grip holding up to two NP-FZ100 batteries, which allows you to shoot two times more shots than with α7R IV.
Rely on smart AI-based Real-time Tracking
- AI-based Real-time Tracking is newly featured to greatly increase your success rate in challenging shots. Simply designate a subject and press the shutter button halfway, and rely on the camera to steadfastly track the subject. With “Face/Eye Priority in AF” function, the α7R IV seamlessly changes tracking targets between face and eye when a subject is a person.
- Technology basis for Real-time Tracking. Sony’s original AI (Artificial Intelligence) subject recognition technology and algorithm process large volume data captured by the image sensor in real-time, tracking moment-to-moment subject changes with a high degree of accuracy. Colour, pattern, subject distance, human face and eye information are used for highly accurate subject recognition.
- Real-time Eye AF with animal eye tracking for more success thanks to an improved algorithm, the α7R IV now supports animal eye in addition to human eye tracking12, allowing fast, precise, automatic detection and tracking. This animal eye support will greatly increase your success in capturing images of animals in the wild or favourite pets at home when an obstacle comes into view or the camera’s horizontal/vertical orientation often changes.
Maximised productivity in professional portrait shooting
- Real-time Eye AF represents the evolution of portrait shooting. This AI-aided technology provides immediate, accurate eye detection and tracking for a crisp, clear focus on the subject’s face, even when capturing a fast-moving model in a photo session. The photographer can concentrate on composition — for a smoother workflow that counts with pros.
- Instant focusing on an eye when Face/Eye Priority in AF is on, simply half-press the shutter, press AF-ON button, or an assigned custom button. The camera takes care of focusing on a subject eye.
- Right/left eye selection to meet your need and you can even select a specific eye — left or right — before or during shooting via a custom button. Eye selection allows you to focus on composition, lighting, and other details.
- Works with Real-time Tracking for eye-catching portraits you can combine the use of Real-time Eye AF with Real-time Tracking, which response to dynamic subject motion. This teamwork enables tracking accuracy for comfortable portrait shooting.
- More efficient workflow with wireless and wired connective solutions for demanding pros. The α7R IV supports various options for PC Remote functions and means of data transfer including 5GHz14 Wi-Fi. Take full advantage of more choice and convenience in remote shooting operation and data backup.