Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens is designed exclusively for use with mirrorless cameras and is light enough to feel perfectly balanced on a compact mirrorless camera.
Yet is packed with an array of professional features including ultra-fast AF, a de-clickable and lockable aperture ring and a customisable AFL button.
This gives the lens operability and portability without compromise, making it as ideal for professional projects as it is for casual outings, and as well-suited to video as it is stilled.
SIGMA’s iconic 35mm F1.4 Art has been reimagined for L-Mount and E-mount mirrorless systems, bringing improved optical performance and advanced features in a more compact body.
Its wide-standard focal length and bright aperture make it the perfect tool for a range of applications, including wedding, portrait, Astro and travel photography and film-making.
The existing 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art was SIGMA’s first GLOBAL VISION lens. Released in 2012, it set the standard for all of SIGMA’s subsequent Art-line lenses, and thanks to its exceptional image quality it is still the 35mm prime lens of choice for many professional photographers.
Nine years on, the 35mm F1.4 has been redesigned from the ground up specifically for mirrorless cameras and is the culmination of much of the optical design expertise and advanced production techniques gained over the past decade of GLOBAL VISION lens development.
As with all of SIGMA’s lenses, the 35mm F1.4 DG DN | Art is built entirely at its sole factory in Aizu in Japan, where the standard of craftsmanship is of the highest level.
As is true with all SIGMA lenses, class-leading optics are right at the heart of the design concept of this new 35mm F1.4 DG DN | Art.
Despite being significantly smaller and lighter than the existing 35mm F1.4, it displays an outstanding level of sharpness right to the edges of the frame at all apertures, as well as exceptionally smooth and attractive bokeh and remarkably well-controlled optical aberrations.
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens Features
- Ехсерtіоnаl орtісаl реrfоrmаnсе аѕ ѕtаndаrd wіth Аrt lіnе lеnѕеѕ
- Соmраtіblе wіth FЕ full-frаmе Ѕоnу саmеrа ѕуѕtеmѕ
- Таіlоrеd tоwаrdѕ trаvеl, роrtrаіt, аѕtrо, аnd wеddіng рhоtоgrарhу
- Ѕіgnіfісаnt 35mm lеnѕ fоr fіlmmаkеrѕ аnd соntеnt сrеаtоrѕ
- Іntеgrаtеѕ 15 орtісаl еlеmеntѕ іn 11 kеу grоuрѕ
- Іnсоrроrаtеѕ hіgh-grаdе glаѕѕ аnd Ѕіgmа’ѕ оwn орtісаl dеѕіgn tесhnоlоgу
- Ѕаgіttаl соmа flаrе соntrоllеd еvеn аt wіdе f1.4 ареrturе
- Dіѕрlауѕ а ѕmооth, rоund bоkеh fоr сеntrаl fосuѕіng
- Ѕіgmа’ѕ аntі-ghоѕtіng аnd аntі-flаrе tесhnоlоgу tасklеѕ bасklіt ѕhооtіng соndіtіоnѕ
- Rаріd аnd rеѕроnѕіvе АF – trасkѕ mоvіng ѕubјесtѕ wіth еаѕе
- Тасtіlе аnd mеtісulоuѕ mаnuаl fосuѕіng dеѕіgn (іntеrnаl)
- Мultірlе tасtuаl ѕwіtсhеѕ аnd mоdеѕ аlоng thе lеnѕ bаrrеl
- Іn-buіlt ареrturе rіng fоr сuѕtоm соntrоl wіth аn іntuіtіvе lосk ѕwіtсh
- Dеtасhаblе реtаl-tуре lеnѕ hооd rеduсеѕ flаrе аnd рrоtесtѕ орtісаl еlеmеntѕ
- Duѕt аnd ѕрlаѕh-рrооf ѕtruсturе, wіth wаtеr аnd оіl rереllеnt lеnѕ соаtіng
What’s in the box?
1 x Petal type hood with lock (LH728-01)
1 x case
Exceptional optical performance
Central to the design of the Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens its sophisticated optical performance, which is consistent with the development of all Art line lenses. The lens incorporates 15 elements in 11 groups.
With two Special Low Dispersion (SLD) elements, an Extraordinary Low Dispersion (ELD) element, an ‘F’ Low Dispersion (FLD) element and two aspherical elements, and as well as other high-performance glass.
The lens’ advanced optical construction utilises SIGMA’s state-of-the-art optical design technology, minimising all types of aberration including axial chromatic aberration, which cannot be corrected in-camera.
In spite of having a very wide aperture of F1.4, the lens is able to control sagittal coma flare extremely well even wide open, stopping bright points of light from flaring out near the edges of the frame. This will be particularly appealing to night sky photographers.
Owing to its 11 rounded diaphragm blades, the lens displays smooth, round bokeh so that out-of-focus areas are not distracting. This makes the Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens well-suited to portraits, supported by its ultra-sharp image quality and minimal colour bleeding.
It also performs very well in backlit conditions thanks to SIGMA’s anti-ghosting and anti-flare technology that it has cultivated through countless simulations and real-life testing in our many years of lens development.
This keeps shots high contrast and free of excessive flare even when working in difficult light.
Fast and quiet AF in a compact body
The focusing mechanism in the SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG DN | Art features a stepping motor. This motor controls a focusing lens group composed of a single, lightweight element, which means AF is responsive and quiet and is able to keep track of moving objects very effectively.
Manual focusing is smooth and precise, but with the right amount of resistance for filmmakers. Certainly, this lens has a focus mode switch on the body.
The Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens wholly embraces the Art line concept, which is “designed with a focus on sophisticated optical performance”. This—paired with its advanced autofocus performance and the convenience of compact size—makes for a lens that raises the standards.
On the body of the SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG DN | Art is an aperture ring that allows the aperture to be controlled via the lens, or when set to Auto, using the camera. An aperture lock switch on the lens body allows the aperture ring to be locked in Auto so that it’s not accidentally knocked during shooting.
A big plus for filmmakers, the aperture ring can be de-clicked, allowing users to seamlessly adjust exposure. Also on the lens barrel is a focus mode switch and an AFL button, which can be customised to the desired function from within the camera menu (depending on the model).
The switch is ergonomically positioned to be controlled by the thumb during use. A petal-type lens hood is included in the box, which helps reduce flare and offers the lens added protection if dropped.
The hood has a lock mechanism that keeps it attached securely to the lens, and its rubberised grip makes it quick and easy to attach and remove.
On top of this impressive array of features and elegant exterior, the body of the 35mm F1.4 DG DN | Art offers an exceptional level of durability that helps it withstand long-term professional use as well as individual operating parts that give a good fit to the hand.
The dust and splash-proof structure provide sealing on buttons and along joins between constituent parts, and there’s a rubber gasket around the mount.
There’s also a water and oil repellent coating applied to the front element ensures that photographers can rely on it in any conditions.
- Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups, with 1 FLD, 1 ELD, 2 SLD and 2 aspherical elements
- Internal focusing
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Stepping motor
- Compatible with lens-based optical correction
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Water and oil-repellent coating (front element)
- Aperture Ring
- Aperture Ring Click Switch
- Aperture Ring Lock Switch
- AFL button
- Focus Mode Switch
- Support DMF, AF+MF
- Dust and splash-proof structure
- Petal type hood with lock
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimise flare and ghosting
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system “A1”
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- ‘Made in Japan’ craftsmanship
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens Sample Images
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN Art Lens Specifications
|Lens type||Prime lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||35 mm|
|Lens mount||L-Mount, Sony FE|
|Number of diaphragm blades||11|
|Special elements / coatings||1 FLD + 1 ELD + 2 SLD + 2 aspherical elements, Super Multi-Layer coating|
|Minimum focus||0.30 m (11.81″)|
|Motor type||Stepper motor|
|Weight||645 g (1.42 lb)|
|Diameter||76 mm (2.99″)|
|Length||110 mm (4.33″)|
|Filter thread||67 mm|
|Notes||For detailed specs see here|