Back-illuminated 42.4MP full-frame sensor
The 35mm full-frame Exmor R CMOS image sensor features 42.4-megapixel14 resolution, back illumination and gapless on-chip lens design for extraordinary sensitivity and dynamic range, anti-reflection (AR) coating on sensor seal glass, and other innovations that unleash the sensor’s power to make images look realistic.
Further enhanced image processing engine
The latest front-end LSI makes data readout from the image sensor approximately two times faster15 and the BIONZ X image processor is now about 1.8 times faster16. Enhanced image processing realizes lower noise and further extended dynamic range across a wide sensitivity range of up to ISO 32000 (standard ISO, expandable to ISO 50-102400 for stills). Moreover, upgraded Detail Reproduction and Area-specific Noise Reduction achieves noise reduction — the equivalent of approx. one stop — in mid-range ISO settings. Also, reproduction of skin colour has been dramatically improved, which is advantageous for portrait shooting. The α7R III also supports 14-bit RAW output17 even during silent shooting/continuous shooting.
A quantum leap in AF performance
An evolved image processing system and α9 camera AF algorithms optimised for the α7R III improve AF speed, precision, and tracking performance. 399 phase-detection AF points and 425 contrast-detection AF points provide high-density wide-area coverage. Up to approximately two times, faster18 AF speed and two times more precise15 AF tracking performance let you capture and maintain focus on nimble wildlife in unpredictable motion. The α7R III also autofocuses reliably down to EV-3 brightness19.
Eye AF with doubled15 tracking performance
Eye AF’s enhanced precision, plus two times greater AF speed and AF tracking performance15 further assist you to easily shoot a portrait of a moving subject using AF-C even during continuous shooting, and even if the subject looks down and away from the camera, or is backlit with face in partial darkness. The α7R III’s E-mount body supports Eye AF for A-mount lenses20 mounted via an adaptor.
Up to 10fps22 with AF/AE tracking
With new shutter unit and image processing system refinements, the α7R III can shoot continuously at up to 10fps22 with AF/AE tracking (up to 8fps22 with minimal display lag in live-view continuous shooting mode) for easy, the stable shooting of even intensely active subjects. An electronic shutter allows silent, vibration-free shooting of wildlife when even slight noise can mean missing an ideal shot.
Focal-plane phase-detection AF supports A-mount lenses
Phase-detection AF can operate even when an A-mount lens is mounted to the α7R III via an LA-EA3 adaptor that doesn’t include a dedicated phase-detection AF sensor. The 399-point focal-plane phase-detection AF system provides wide-area coverage, fast response, and high-performance tracking whether an A-mount or E-mount lens is attached.
Up to 76 images in continuous shooting
Greater buffer memory, system speed, and UHS-II support allow the α7R III to capture up to approx. 28 uncompressed RAW, or 76 compressed RAW or JPEG images23 in a continuous burst at 10fps. Fn menu/menu display access, setting changes and review playback can occur during data writing. A countdown of the number of still images remaining to be written to memory is on display during playback.
Flicker from fluorescent and other artificial lighting is automatically detected and shutter action is timed to minimise the flicker’s effect on still images. This suppresses exposure and colour anomalies at the top and bottom of images shot at high shutter speeds, as well as exposure and colour inconsistency between continuous shots, so you can take images indoors with more confidence.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting opens a new world of resolution
Applying mechanisms and control technology of image stabilisation, this new feature composites four separate pixel-shifted images that contain total data27 equal to approx. 169.6 million, or 42.4 million x 4 (RGGB), pixels to reproduce a single optimal still image of super-high resolution, detailed texture, balanced colour, and realistic atmosphere, with minimal moiré and colour artefacts. Images shot using this feature can be processed with the new Sony imaging software suite.  The image sensor is moved in 1-pixel increments while shooting four sequential frames.  Each pixel represents R, G, and B information.
In-body 5-axis image stabilisation with up to 5.5-stop25 shutter speed advantage
Now more effective than ever for the α series, this comprehensive system compensates for five types of camera shake that tend to blur images: pitch/yaw shake when shooting at longer focal lengths; X/Y shake in close-up (including macro) shooting; and roll shake when recording stills at night and movies. It effectively achieves 5.5-stop-faster25 shutter speed, so the α7R III can take full advantage of its 42.4-megapixel14 and live-view image performance. Furthermore, it functions with A-mount lenses attached via mount adaptor, as well as E-mount lenses.
Touch screen LCD for intuitive focus operations
A 3.0-type LCD touch screen with 1.44 million dots makes focus operation intuitive and instant. You can simply touch the monitor screen to specify the desired focus point with Touch Focus. Also, Touch Pad function lets you drag the focus frame to another point with a fingertip on the LCD screen as you monitor the shot through the viewfinder.
Dual slots with UHS-II compatibility
This camera provides two media slots for SD card (UHS-II-compatible for fast data writing) and SD/MS card, respectively. Two cards in the slots can be used to simultaneously record or relay record data; separate RAW data from JPEG data, or stills from movies; and copy data from one card to the other. The memory card cover is lockable to prevent it from being opened unintentionally.
Features About the Sony a7R III Digital Camera Body
- Building on the foundations of Sony’s alpha series mirrorless CSCs: The a7R III inherits some of the impressive features found elsewhere in the alpha range of cameras. 4K video with full pixel readout, 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilisation, and a full-frame Exmore R BSI CMOS sensor make up the guts of the a7R III
- Improved autofocus performance: The a7R Mark III’s new autofocus system leaves the previous 25-area contrast AF, found in earlier models, behind. Similar to that in the a6500, this new system features a smart 295-area system, with 399-point AF, that is capable of continuous AF/AE tracking up to 10fps – twice as fast as in the A7R II
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: This new internal gamma curve maps a video to a broadcast tonal range, allowing for HDR playback. This is the first time Sony has put this feature in a stills camera
- Pixel-shift mode: Another first for Sony is the new pixel-shift mode. The camera will take 4 sequential shots in intervals of less than half a second – each shot being offset by a single pixel. You can then stitch the images together to create an image with fewer artefacts and a truer range of colours
- Z-series battery compatibility: The a7R Mark III is the first camera in the alpha 7 range to support the 7.2V 2280mAh Z series battery, offering 17Wh of power
- 4K video recording: Capture UHD footage up to 30fps in the XAVC S format. The a7R III is capable of recording the footage at this desirable resolution with full pixel readout and no pixel binning. By capturing 5K of information, the camera oversamples to produce stunning, high-detail 4K footage
- Slow-motion frame rates: When shooting in Full HD the a7R III can capture footage up to 120fps for 5x slow motion at 100mbps
- Superb low-light capabilities: The 42.4MP back-illuminated sensor utilises technology that offers a wide dynamic range and high sensitivity in low-light situations. The camera also features a wide ISO range of 100-32,000 which is expandable to 50-102,400 for still images. Combined this allows the a7R III to capture a massive 15 stops of dynamic range
Whаt’ѕ іn thе bох?
1x Ѕоnу Аlрhа а7R ІІІ Міrrоrlеѕѕ Dіgіtаl Саmеrа
1x Ѕоnу NР-FZ100 Rесhаrgеаblе Lіthіum-Іоn Ваttеrу
1x Ѕоnу ВС-QZ1 Ваttеrу Сhаrgеr
1x Саblе Рrоtесtоr
1x Ѕhоuldеr Ѕtrар
1x Ѕоnу Воdу Сар
1x Ассеѕѕоrу Ѕhое Сар
1x Еуеріесе Сuр
1x UЅВ Туре-С Саblе
Sample Images of the Sony a7R III
Product Videos of the Sony a7R III