Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F enhances this wide zoom with sophisticated optics, focusing, and image stabilization.
Helping to realize sharp, clear imagery, the optical design incorporates aspherical and low dispersion glass elements to reduce both spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range. A trio of coatings—AX, eBAND, and BBAR—have also been applied to suppress lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color rendering when working in bright and backlit conditions.
Benefitting the optical assets, performance and handling is enhanced through the use of dual MPUs (Micro-Processing Unit), which ensure fast and reliable image stabilization and autofocus. Vibration Compensation accounts for up to 4.5 stops of camera shake, to result in sharper images when shooting handheld at slower shutter speeds. Conversely, a USD motor provides quick and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override. Additionally, the lens body is weather-sealed and moisture resistant, and the front element features a protective fluorine coating to guard against dust and smearing.
Features of the Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F
- Ultra-wide zoom is designed for full-frame Nikon F-mount cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 24-48mm equivalent focal length range.
- Bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture affords consistent brightness throughout the zoom range, and benefits working in difficult lighting conditions.
- Three LD (low dispersion) elements are featured in the optical design to noticeably limit color fringing and chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and color fidelity.
- Two glass-molded aspherical elements and one XGM (eXpanded Glass Molded Aspherical) element help to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion throughout the zoom range to deliver notable sharpness and accurate rendering.
- An AX coating has been to the convex surface of large, curved elements and both eBAND and BBAR coatings have also been applied to individual elements to suppress ghosting and lens flare for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- VC image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 4.5 stops for more effective handheld shooting in difficult lighting conditions.
- An Ultrasonic Silent Drive autofocus motor delivers quick and precise focusing performance to suit working with moving subjects. This motor also affords full-time manual focus control, and it is possible to focus on subjects as close as 11″ away.
- Dual dedicated MPUs (Micro-Processing Unit) are used—one for autofocus, one for VC—to ensure fast, responsive focusing and stabilization performance.
- A moisture-resistant construction benefits this lens’ use in inclement conditions, and a fluorine coating has also been applied to the front lens element to protect against dust, dirt, and smearing.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Integrated rear filter holder permits working with cut gel-type filters.
- Compatible with optional TAP-in Console for fine-tuning select focusing adjustments and for updating lens firmware.
- Extended 5 years warranty – Register Here
Tamron upgrades its legendary ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
The SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A012) is a high-quality F/2.8 ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for use with full-frame DSLR cameras that has been lauded by photography enthusiasts throughout the world. To further enhance this legacy of high-quality optics, new functions have been added to create the next generation model, the SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041) . Incorporating an XGM (eXpanded Glass Molded Aspherical) lens element as well as multiple LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements provides high definition images throughout the entire zoom range.
The newly developed AX Coating enables sharp images
A new revolutionary AX (Anti-reflection eXpand) Coating is accomplished through Tamron’s proprietary deposition technology that addresses the difficulty of applying uniformed coating using existing technology. Now the coating can be applied uniformly edge to edge, even if the convex surface has a strong curvature. As a result, the reflectance and color rendition at the peripheral part of the element is the same as the center. The new AX Coating, which is especially effective for wide-angle lenses that tend to let in harmful light from peripheral areas, effectively minimizes ghosting and provides outstanding uniform image clarity.
A great AF performance and image stabilization bring out the lens’s optical performance
In order to engage the full optical performance of the lens, it is essential to control the slightest blur and precise focusing. In this respect, the lens applies a Dual MPU (Micro-Processing Unit), which includes two dedicated MPUs, one for lens system control including AF, and the other for vibration compensation processing. AF speed and precision have been enhanced and image stabilization has been vastly improved, reaching 4.5 stops* according to CIPA standards. Even for handheld shooting, the blur that often arises in low-light conditions is effectively controlled.
High precision AF lets you take steady shots
The AF drive uses proprietary Tamron technology, USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) providing high torque, response, and silent operation. Manual focus adjustments can be made on the fly with the lens’s Full-time Manual Focus Override system.
The VC mechanism provides powerful support for handheld shooting
The Model A041 has an improved VC (Vibration Compensation) mechanism with vastly better image stabilization performance from the previous Model A012, reaching 4.5 stops according to CIPA standards. This enables sharper images over a wide range of photographic situations, including indoor and outdoor shots as well as landscape photography at stopped-down aperture settings.
New Fluorine Coating for improved durability
The durability of the front element coating is greatly improved with the development of new Fluorine Coating. With the new fluorine compound that has excellent water- and oil-repellent properties, the lens surface is much easier to wipe clean and less vulnerable to damaging effects of dirt, dust, moisture, and fingerprints, and enabling your important lenses to be continually protected on a long-time basis.
The F/2.8 G2 with VC trinity is completed
The SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041) integrates engineering with human touch design, aiming at intuitive operability, while still emphasizing minute details and texture. The lens is more user-friendly because of innovations including a new switch box design, an improved distant-scale window, and the precision and stability of the metallic mount.
Now three of high-speed zoom lens with VC, SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041), SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A032) and SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A025), are reborn as Generation 2, providing you with the feeling of luxury and operation unique to the human touch design.
What’s in the box?
- Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F
- Front Lens Cap
- Tamron SP Rear Lens Cap for Nikon EOS Lenses
- Lens Pouch
Sample Images of the Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F
Product Video of the Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F
Specifications of the Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 Lens for Nikon F
|Angle of View
|110°32′-71°35′ (for full-frame DSLR cameras)
85°52′-49°54′ (for APS-C format DSLR cameras)
|Optical Construction||18 elements in 13 groups|
|Minimum Object Distance||0.28m (11 in) Full zoom range|
|Maximum Magnification Ratio||1:5 (f=30mm)|
|Length**||145mm Canon (5.7 in)
142.5mm Nikon (5.6 in)
|Weight||1,110g Canon (39.2 oz)
1,100g Nikon (38.8 oz)
|Aperture Blades||9 (circular diaphragm)***|
|Image Stabilization Performance||4.5 Stops (TELE) (CIPA Standards Compliant)
For Canon: EOS-5D MKIII is used
For Nikon: D810 is used
|Standard Accessory||Integrated flower-shaped hood,
Lens caps (push-on front, rear)
|Compatible Mounts||Nikon F|