Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD Lens for Canon EF has been created to showcase its lens-making capabilities. This flexible wide-angle prime is ideal for general shooting applications, ranging from street photography to event shooting, and its impressively bright f/1.4 maximum aperture excels in difficult lighting conditions and offers increased control over the depth of field. The optical design incorporates a series of low dispersion and aspherical elements, which control a variety of aberrations in order to achieve high image clarity and sharpness.
A BBAR-G2 coating has also been applied and helps to reduce flare and ghosting for improved colour and contrast when working in strong lighting conditions. Complementing the optics, a USD motor and Dynamic Rolling-cam mechanism are also employed to ensure quick, quiet autofocus performance along with seamless full-time manual focus override. Additionally, the lens features a moisture-resistant construction along with a front fluorine coating to support working in harsh weather conditions.
Features of the Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD Lens for Canon EF
- Wide-angle prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount cameras, however, can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 56mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture suits working in low-light conditions and also affords extensive control over depth of field for isolating subjects using selective focus techniques.
- Four low dispersion elements are featured and greatly limit colour fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to achieve higher clarity and colour fidelity throughout the aperture range.
- Three glass-moulded aspherical elements are used to suppress distortion and spherical aberrations and contribute to accurate rendering and high sharpness.
- Second generation BBAR-G2 coating has been applied to individual elements and provides refined correction and control over ghosting and lens flare for greatly improved contrast and colour accuracy when working in backlit conditions.
- An Ultrasonic Silent Drive autofocus motor delivers quick and precise focusing performance and a Dynamic Rolling-cam mechanism also contributes to the swift focusing movement of the large f/1.4 optical system. This motor also affords full-time manual focus control, and it is possible to focus on subjects as close as 11.8″ away at a 1:5 maximum magnification ratio.
- A moisture-resistant construction benefits this lens’ use in inclement conditions and a fluorine coating has also been applied to the front lens element to protect against dust, dirt, and smearing.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Extended 5 years warranty – Register Here
Optical performance that defines the ultimate Tamron lens ever made
We endeavored to achieve ultra-high quality where every shape is captured with perfect fidelity. So we meticulously eradicated any optical aberrations that could reduce image quality. In particular, we have eliminated the on-axis chromatic aberrations that plague fast-aperture lenses, and the sagittal coma flares that reduce peripheral image quality. This is accomplished by deploying 14 elements in 10 groups, a dense arrangement for a fixed focal lens. The optical construction includes a generous arrangement of special glasses, four LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements and three GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) lens elements.
Leveraging Tamron’s experience creating beautiful bokeh
The SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD produces genuinely beautiful bokeh defocus blur both in front of and behind the plane of focus, a characteristic shared with Tamron’s legendary 90mm F/2.8 macro lens. The major difference is the fast F/1.4 aperture. Normally, as the lens aperture opens subtle on-axis chromatic aberration appears as color fringe. So we created a countermeasure to thoroughly overcome these deficiencies and produce bokeh that blends in beautifully without introducing aberrant color in front of or behind the focal plane.
Newly developed BBAR-G2 Coating delivers stunning clarity and contrast
Tamron has long been an innovator of coating technologies that prevent ghosting and flare. Second-generation BBAR-G2 Coating is a groundbreaking advancement that provides vastly improved performance compared to the original BBAR Coating. The coating corrects for ghosting and flare to an unprecedented extent, and renders fine subject detail with true clarity and stunning contrast even under backlit conditions.
Exceptionally reliable, fast and accurate AF that unleashes creativity in every situation
The AF drive is equipped with Tamron’s proprietary USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) motor. Additionally, Tamron’s all-new Dynamic Rolling-cam mechanism operates the heavy focusing unit of the large F/1.4 aperture with high speed and accuracy. This breakthrough ensures stable AF performance and improves reliability even under the harsh shooting conditions of professional use, including high and low temperature extremes. This exceptional lens is also equipped with a Full-Time Manual Focus override system so photographers can instantly make fine adjustments to the point of focus, even in the AF mode.
Tamron’s vision for the development of the ultimate lens
Thanks to our valued customers who are lovers of photography, Tamron is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the release of the first five SP series lenses. Tamron has long pursued the development of the “ultimate lens” based on the conviction that, “We want to deliver a perfect image to people who love photos,” our creed for all Tamron lenses. One of our answers to fulfill this ambition is the SP series of lenses that balances advanced optical performance with ergonomic, maneuverable bodies. No matter how well a lens performs, it’s useless if it’s not on hand when you want to shoot. We believe that a lens can’t be something that the photographer hesitates to bring along.
On the other hand, if we said there is no allure to pursuing the ultimate in lens performance disregarding the bounds of body size, we’d be lying. We wanted to know what kind of lens would result if we focused Tamron’s technologies purely on lens performance in pursuit of image quality. This is yet another answer to the question of what constitutes the “ultimate lens.” This is the kind of lens we wanted to create to mark the milestone 40th Anniversary of the SP series. What we decided on is the 35mm F/1.4.In a market packed with excellent lens offerings from various companies, Tamron has accepted the ambitious challenge of producing its greatest lens.
Tamron’s optical design staff was given a single instruction from product planning: aim for the absolute ultimate in lens performance. Their answer was a lens that thoroughly eliminates optical aberrations so that each point light source is faithfully depicted. This is a dream for any optical designer. With the new mechanism developed especially for the Model F045, the reproduction of the bokeh qualities for which Tamron is known, and the development of new coating technologies, all of Tamron’s technical competence has been compounded to finally complete the finest lens in Tamron’s history. This is Tamron’s pride and joy. We invite you to experience its performance for yourself.
What’s in the box?
- Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD Lens for Canon EF
- Front Lens Cap
- Rear Lens Cap
- HF045 Lens Hood
- Lens Pouch
Sample Images of the Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD Lens for Canon EF
Product Video of the Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD Lens for Canon EF
Specifications of the Tamron SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD Lens for Canon EF
|Angle of View
|63゜26′(for full-frame DSLR cameras)|
|Optical Construction||14 elements in 10 groups|
|Minimum Object Distance||0.3m (11.8 in)|
|Maximum Magnification Ratio||1:5|
|Length*||104.8mm Canon (4.1 in)
102.3mm Nikon (4 in)
|Weight||815g Canon (28.7 oz)
805g Nikon (28.4 oz)
|Aperture Blades||9 (circular diaphragm)**|
|Standard Accessory||Flower-shaped hood, Lens caps, Lens pouch|
|Compatible Mounts||Canon EF mount|